PLAN OF ACTION OF THE
BSEC WORKING GROUP ON CUSTOMS MATTERS
(For the period of 1 July 2012 – 30 June 2014,
Republic of Turkey)
Ministry of Customs and Trade, Directorate General for the EU and External Relations
Contact point: Emrah ASLAN/ Assistant EU Expert
Tel: +-90 312 306 78 83
Fax: +90 312 309 37 37
1. GENERAL OBJECTIVES:
The Working Group on Customs Matters will carry out its activities taking into account the provisions of the BSEC Charter, the BSEC Economic Agenda for the Future, the Resolutions, Decisions and Recommendations adopted by the BSEC Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs, the decisions of the Meetings of the BSEC Heads of Customs Administrations, the Terms of Reference of the Working Group.
The Working Group will be working towards to accomplish the following tasks:
1. Within the context of simplification of customs formalities, encouraging the BSEC Member States to accede to and implement the Revised Kyoto Convention and other international conventions in the field of customs, and monitoring the state of play regarding the Member States’ accession to those conventions.
2. Promoting the harmonization and simplification of customs procedures taking into account the principles of the Convention on a Common Transit Procedure and exchanging the experience in this respect.
3. Considering the proposals on the possibility of establishing a preliminary information exchange mechanism among the interested BSEC Member States about the goods and the vehicles moved through the state borders of BSEC Member States for facilitating trade, reducing waiting time at the borders and combating fraud and smuggling in the framework of bilateral and multilateral cooperative instruments and other customs-related agreements.
4. Discussing the possibilities of concluding bilateral/multilateral agreements on cooperation and mutual administrative assistance in customs matters between the interested BSEC Member States.
5. Encouraging cooperation among the customs laboratories on unification of methods for analysis of goods and their classification.
6. Promoting the inter-agency cooperation within each BSEC Member State by means of MoU and/or other cooperative instruments.
7. Exchanging the experience on implementation of the single window concept among the BSEC Member States.
8. Introducing common standards of simplified and efficient customs procedures which facilitate and secure the movement of goods and carriers through borders, in conformity with WCO SAFE Framework of Standards
9. Strengthening the capacity of customs to combat smuggling and customs fraud.
10. Exploring other bilateral and multilateral transit arrangements and promoting them in the BSEC region, where feasible, and in so far that they are compatible with the international commitments and national legislation.
11. Stimulating capacity building activities among the customs administrations of the BSEC Member States for the aim of facilitation of border crossings, by taking into account their specific needs.
In implementing these tasks, the Working Group will cooperate, as appropriate, with the other BSEC Working Groups.
2. LIST OF ACTIVITIES AND JOINT PROJECTS:
The activities of the Working Group for the mentioned period will comprise the following actions:
1. Meetings of the Working Group – 15 November 2012, March 2013, April 2014.
2. Workshop on specific subjects – 17-18 December 2012, October 2013.
Provision, Maintenance and Use of X-ray Technology at Borders and Ports of BSEC Member Countries 17-18 December 2012, İzmir, TURKEY.
Increasing the Cooperation among Training Departments/Agencies of Customs Administration of Member Countries of BSEC, October 2013, Ankara, TURKEY.
Cooperation among the Customs Laboratories of the BSEC Member States on Unification of Methods, First Half of the 2013, UKRAINE.
3. Conferences and Seminars
BSEC-OSCE Joint Conference/Seminar on the “Best Practices at Border Crossings” with Reference to the UNECE/OSCE Handbook, April 2013.
The present Action Plan shall be implemented without any prejudice to the international obligations, EU commitments or provisions of the national legislation of the BSEC Member States.