Annex III to BS/WGC/R(2023)1
PLAN OF ACTION OF THE BSEC WORKING GROUP ON CULTURE
(2021 – 2023)
COUNTRY COORDINATOR: THE REPUBLIC OF AZERBAIJAN
Acting on the basis of the resolution of the Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs (Moscow, 15th Meeting, 1 November 2006), which approved the establishment of the BSEC Working Group on Culture and its Terms of Reference;
Being convinced that the enhancement of intercultural dialogue as means to increase mutual understanding, respect, trust and consideration between the individuals and peoples of the BSEC region and beyond;
Acknowledging the cultural diversity of the BSEC Region and recognizing that all cultures and civilizations can contribute to, and are crucial enablers of, sustainable development;
Being confident that culture, cultural heritage and cultural industries are major assets for sustainable social and economic development, as well as for meeting the challenges that our societies are facing in a changing world;
Emphasizing the need to enhance the potential of culture as a means of achieving prosperity, sustainable development and global peaceful coexistence
Being convinced that the variety of cultural identities and values represents a key resource for enhancing political dialogue, developing economic co-operation and ensuring stability in the wider Black Sea area in accordance with the BSEC Charter and other relevant policy documents;
Taking into consideration of the Goal 8 of the 2012 “BSEC Economic Agenda for an Enhanced BSEC Partnership: Development of Tourism and Protection of Cultural Heritage” also giving prior attention to the significance of cultural heritage and its inherent values of BSEC Member States.
- GENERAL OBJECTIVES:
The general objective of the Present Plan of Action 2021-2023 is to contribute to the development and strengthening of cultural cooperation and dialogue, aiming to boost the role of culture and cultural policies in the BSEC Region, based on;
- Promotion of mutual understanding, respect for diversity, rights, and equal dignity between peoples through intercultural dialogue and concrete initiatives;
- Respect for, preservation and promotion of cultural diversity and cultural heritage of BSEC member states;
- Working towards shaping a better understanding and interaction of the Black Sea distinct regional cultural identity by developing joint strategies, projects, and programs to enhance the spirit of dialogue;
- Giving priority to the cooperation in the prevention of illicit trafficking of cultural property belonging to the archeological, historical, ethnographical heritage and the arts, inter alia, through exchange of information to facilitate the return of lost or illegally exported cultural values in accordance with the national legislations of the BSEC Member States and relevant international instruments;
- Informing each other of the international book fairs and similar events to be organized in their countries and encourage mutual participation;
- Exchange of visits among representatives of the arts and culture and the organization of cultural festivals through which people will have a chance of getting acquainted with other cultures;
- Sponsorship of conferences, symposiums and workshops to enhance mutual understanding, tolerance and dialogue among civilizations;
- Reinvigorating and encouraging translation and dissemination of basic manuscripts and books and studies.
- LIST OF ACTIVITIES AND JOINT PROJECTS
Protection and Promotion of the Cultural Heritage
Being conscious of the contributions of the protection and promotion of tangible and intangible cultural heritage to the national identification, and social and economic development of nations, and reaffirming the role of cultural diversity in forming a common heritage of humanity,
- Encouraging the participation of experts from BSEC Member States in seminars, webinars, panel discussions, forums and other similar activities related to the study and protection of cultural heritage of the region;
- Promoting restoration and preservation of cultural and archeological heritage in the territory of the BSEC Member States;
- Identifying and inventorying traditional cultural expressions common in the Blac Sea Basin and Common cultural expressions of BSEC Member States;
- Promoting cultural heritage of BSEC region through offline and online platforms and initiatives.
Encouraging creativity through the support of creative businesses and professionals in the field of cultural and creative industries (CCIs)
Considering the overall motive of the “UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” and the UNESCO 2005 Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions, and the significance of CCIs for inclusive and sustainable growth, also based on the prior activities in the framework of the BSEC,
- Exploring the interactions between artists, creative businesses and professionals in the BSEC region
- Fostering the exchange of knowledge and best practices in the digitalization and entrepreneurship in CCI’s.
Innovations and Digital Technologies for boosting local and national economies
In view of the contributions of CCI’s, creative economies in general, to local and national economies on the one hand, the challenges of the Digital Age, and the modern and innovative tools for CCI’s on the other hand,
- Supporting creative economies in the BSEC region through encouraging creative and innovative startups, online marketing and collaboration platforms, eculture and digital heritage of BSEC countries
- Promoting digitalization of the BSEC Member States cultural heritage, as well as the use or artificial intelligence, augmented reality/virtual reality
Reaffirming the globally recognized recognition of culture as a “soft power” in international relations, and the role of cultural diplomacy in building bridges among nations and states contributing to exchange of ideas, knowledge and experience, addressing global challenges, fostering mutual understanding and peace,
- Encouraging direct contacts and cooperation among the cultural authorities, institutions and organisations (including galleries, libraries, publishing houses, creative centres) of the BSEC Member States;
- Encouraging mutual participation in the cultural events (including film weeks, theatre conferences, music festivals, exhibitions, book fairs, and forums) held in BSEC Member States;
- Encouraging the colloboration among civil society organizations and private sector contributing to cultural copperation among the BSEC Member States.
- Organization of “Film Weeks” in order to create a positive perception in the minds of communities by bringing their cultures and positive values to the BSEC region through cinema. Technical and other details regarding the organization of film weeks shall be determined through direct contacts between competent authorities of BSEC countries and be made definite through diplomatic or other channels to be mutually agreed upon.
- Promoting the mutual participation to traditional handicrafts exhibitions, the details of which to be agreed upon through diplomatic channels.
- Promoting the mutual participation to the international theatre, opera and ballet festivals organized in BSEC Member States.
- Providing a platform on exchange of knowledge and experience on the establishment and operations of culture centers in BSEC Region.
- Encouraging publishers to translate their respective literary works into the languages of BSEC Member States and publish them.
- Support the exchange of experience and experts in the field of librarianship, material resourcing, cataloguing, information technologies and digitization.
b) Organization of the International Film Festival “From Sea to Sea”
The project considers the participation of the films of countries from the Caspian Sea to the Black Sea, the key aim of which is to create a new platform of a unity.
The festival will introduce to film lovers the new products of film industry, will serve to establishment and development of new international cooperation and realization of joint film projects.
c) Cultural traditions of hospitality in BSEC Region
The Parties shall encourage cooperation in the field of intangible cultural heritage, by supporting traditional national cultural activities, festivals and art fairs, various achievements through joint exhibitions in the field of exchange of traditional music, crafts and other traditional values.
d) Cultural Routes
Encouraging Cultural tourism/Cultural routes projects in the Black Sea Region and their implementation, specifically in the context of the Council of Europe Cultural Routes programme and their potential for further development in the Black Sea countries.
e) Establishment of a Network of Experts on Immovable Cultural Heritage
Bringing highly experienced researchers with background in cultural heritage and preservation to carry out training programs and establishing a network of experts on immovable cultural heritage would provide a basis for sharing experience and knowledge while developing solutions on these issues.
f) Draft Agreement / MoU
Draft Memorandum of Understanding on the protection of Cultural Heritage of the BSEC Member States.
- MEETINGS OF THE WORKING GROUP:
October 21st 2021
March 2nd 2022 (online)
Other meetings will be organized in accordance with the prevailing epidemiological situation and in consultation with the PERMIS, C-i-O and other interested partners, of which Member States will be informed in a timely manner.
- MINISTERIAL MEETINGS:
Meeting of Ministers in Charge of Culture (TBD)
- RELEVANT EVENTS:
(Seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences)
- COOPERATION WITH OTHER BSEC BODIES:
- Exploring the possibility of organizing a joint meeting with the WG on Cooperation in Tourism on topics / items of common interest;
- Exploring the option for organizing a meeting with the ICBSS (seminars, workshops)
- COOPERATION WITH BSEC OBSERVERS AND PARTNERS
- COOPERATION WITH OTHER INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
- UN, UNESCO, UNWTO, UNDP, UN Alliance of Civilizations
- Council of Europe (Cultural Routes, Eurimages)
- Council of Ministers of Culture of Southeast Europe
- European Union