PLAN OF ACTION OF THE
BSEC WORKING GROUP ON CUSTOMS MATTERS
(For the period of 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2018,
Coordinator Country: Republic of Turkey)
Ministry of Customs and Trade, Directorate General for the EU and External Relations Contact point: Mehmet Ali ORAN/ Expert
Tel: +90 312 449 28 64
Fax: +90 312 449 28 82
1. GENERAL OBJECTIVES:
The Working Group on Customs Matters will carry out its activities taking into account the provisions of the BSEC Charter, the BSEC Economic Agenda for the Future, the Resolutions, Decisions and Recommendations adopted by the BSEC Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs, the decisions of the Meetings of the BSEC Heads of Customs Administrations and the Terms of Reference of the Working Group on Customs Matters.
The Working Group will be working towards accomplishment of the following tasks:
1. Within the context of simplification of customs formalities, encouraging the BSEC Member States to accede to and implement the WTO Agreement on Trade Facilitation, the Revised Kyoto Convention and other international conventions in the field of customs, and monitoring the state of play regarding the Member States’ accession to those conventions.
2. Promoting multilateral transit arrangements, automation of transit systems such as common transit system and TIR system and exchange of experience on eTIR pilot projects and promoting automation in the BSEC region, where feasible, and in so far as they are compatible with the international commitments and national legislation.
3. Considering the proposals on the possibility of establishing a preliminary information exchange mechanism among the BSEC Member States about the goods and the vehicles moved through the state borders of BSEC Member States for facilitating trade, reducing waiting time at the borders and combating fraud and smuggling in the framework of bilateral and multilateral cooperative instruments and other customs-related agreements.
4. Discussing the possibilities of concluding international agreements on cooperation and mutual administrative assistance in customs matters between the BSEC Member States.
5. Exchanging experience on implementation of the single window concept among the BSEC Member States.
6. Introducing common standards of simplified and efficient customs procedures which facilitate and secure the movement of goods and carriers through borders, in conformity with WCO SAFE Framework of Standards.
7. Strengthening the capacity of customs to combat smuggling and customs fraud and exchanging experiences on application of rules of origin in the BSEC Member States.
8. Stimulating and supporting capacity building activities among the customs administrations of the BSEC Member States for the aim of facilitation of border crossings, by taking into account their specific needs.
9. Enhancing public-private sector cooperation both for capacity building and trade facilitation purposes.
10. Strengthening capacity building activities among the customs administrations of the BSEC Member States on post release control matters for the purpose of supporting and extending simplifications through exchanging of experiences among the BSEC Member States.
In implementing these tasks, the Working Group will cooperate, as appropriate, with the other BSEC Working Groups.
ACTIVITIES AND JOINT PROJECTS