Annex VI to BS/WG/T/R(2017)1
OF THE BSEC WORKING GROUP ON TRANSPORT (BSEC WGT)
1 JULY 2017 - 30 JUNE 2019
I. GENERAL OBJECTIVES:
1. The present Action Plan in the field of transport sets the main guidelines for enhancing mutually beneficial co-operation between the BSEC Member States for the period 1 July 2017 - June 2019 directed towards both the integration of the national transport networks into the regional ones and further into the Trans European Network Transport (TEN-T) and Euro-Asian Transport Links (EATL), and the development of reliable, efficient, safe, integrated and sustainable transport systems in the BSEC region. Co-operation in the field of transport is vital for achieving steady, sustainable and equitable development, stability and prosperity in all the BSEC Member States.
2. The Action Plan should byno means be constructed as exclusive or precluding any other initiative to beimplemented at local, national, bilateral or regional level. The activitiesincluded into the Present Action Plan will not bring prejudice to theobligations of the BSEC member states deriving from their membership in otherinternational organizations.
3. In its work the WorkingGroup on Transport (WGT) will be guided by the Declaration of the 25thAnniversary Summit of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation(22 May 2017), provisions of the BSEC Economic Agenda: Towards an Enhanced BSECPartnership (Goal 3), resolutions of the Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs,decisions of the Ministers of Transport of the BSEC Member States and the BSEC publiccommunication Strategy.
4. The Action Plan of theBSEC WGT is a general framework to promote the cooperation in the field oftransport among the BSEC Member States. The main objectives of the Plan are:
- to continue and further develop the actionsimplemented in the framework of the previous Action Plans,
- to undertake the new initiatives which will bebased on the results and conclusions of the already implemented activities,
- to smooth integrate in the future actions theproposals and interests of the BSEC Member States, as these are expressed inthe Meetings of the Working Group on Transport,
- to implement the provisions of the previousJoint Declarations adopted by the Ministers of Transports.
5. In this regard, actionsare for further implementation of projects foreseen by the Memoranda on the Coordinated Development of the BlackSea Ring Highway, Development of the Motorways of the Sea and Facilitation ofRoad Transport of Goods; continuation of cooperation in road safety; developmentof intermodal transportation; strengthening transport institutional capacity;undertaking new initiatives aimed at developing modern transport infrastructureand facilitating transportation.
6. The BSEC WGT will continuethe practice of exchange of information regarding the transport nationalstrategies and investment projects being implemented in the BSEC Member Statesas well as on best practices used on transport. The WGT will continue its workon better use of the BSEC Project Development Fund for initiating transportprojects.
II. DEVELOPMENT OF ROAD AND MARITIMEINFRASTRUCTURE
a/ Memorandum of Understanding for the CoordinatedDevelopment of the Black Sea Ring Highway (BSRH)
7. The Parties to the MoUwill be encouraged to apply their every effort to start working on elaborationof the BSRH Master Plan. Coordination of activities with the Steering Committeeon the Development of the Black Sea Ring Highway will be achieved viainteraction between the BSEC PERMIS and BSRH Joint Permanent TechnicalSecretariat (Thessaloniki, “Egnatia Odos” State Company).
b/ Memorandum of Understanding on the Development ofthe Motorways of the Sea (MoS) at the BSEC Region
7. Coordination of activitieswith the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Development of the Motorways of the Seawill be achieved via interaction of the Chairmanship, BSEC PERMIS and MoS JointTechnical Secretariat.
The Parties to the MoU will be encouraged to apply their every effortfor the elaboration of the MoS Master Plan. The Parties also consider that the project can benefitfrom the coordinated cooperation with other international organizations, forexample, the European Union.
III. FACILITATION OF ROAD TRANSPORT OF GOODS
Memorandum of Understanding on Facilitation of RoadTransport of Goods (FRTG) in the BSEC Region
9. The FRTG SteeringCommittee will continue its work on the issues of gradual liberalization oftransport, visa facilitation, monitoring of border waiting times, introductionof the UNECE International Vehicle Weight Certificate and adherence by the BSECMember States to major UNECE International Agreements and Conventions in thefield of transport in accordance with the Time-Table on implementation of theMoU, adopted by the Steering Committee.
10. The WGT will continue tomake efforts for organizing the joint meetings of the BSEC Working Groups onTrade and Economic Development, on Customs Matters and on Transport in order todiscuss the issue of developing the transit traffic in the BSEC Region.
Development of intermodal transportation
11. The BSEC Member States willcontinue the development of the intermodal transport within the Black Searegion, an area of fundamental importance for developing competitive alternativesto road transport. The BSEC Member States support the setting up of a viablenetwork of intermodal terminals as logistic platforms, instrumental indeveloping intermodality, so as are mentioned in the Thessaloniki JointDeclaration on 25 November 2014. The BSEC Member States will alsoencourage the activity of the Task Force on studying possibilities regardingcooperation on intermodal transportation in the Black Sea region.
IV. DRAFT MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ON THEDEVELOPMENT OF MULTIMODAL FERRY AND PASSENGER LINES IN THE BLACK SEA REGION,PRESENTED BY THE MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
12. The interested BSEC MemberStates will be encouraged to apply their every effort to adopt the final textof the Draft Memorandum of Understanding on the Development of Multimodal FerryLines in the Black Sea Region, with the intention to sign this MoU. The interestedMember States will be encouraged to seek signing the above Memorandum as soonas possible.
13. Facilitation ofinternational trade among the BSEC Member States through the implementation ofelectronic document exchange during the clearance of goods in the seaports ofthe BSEC region.
V. INTEGRATED MARITIME POLICY IN THE FIELD OFMARITIME TRANSPORT, PORTS, SHIPBUILDING AND SHIP REPAIRING IN THE BSEC REGION
14. As it is foreseen bythe “BSEC Economic Agenda: Towards an Enhanced BSEC Partnership”, due attentionwill be paid to consideration of the possibility to elaborate a regionalintegrated maritime policy, in the field of Maritime Transport, Ports,Shipbuilding and Ship Repairing in the BSEC Region as an important factor forsustainable economic growth in compliance with the rules of IMO.
VI. UTILIZING THE BSEC PROJECT MECHANISMS
15. The WGT willencourage the BSEC Members States to utilize the BSEC project mechanisms inimplementing the MoUs on the Coordinated Development of the Black Sea RingHighway, Development of the Motorways of the Sea and the Facilitation of RoadTransport of Goods in the BSEC Region. At the same time, other projectproposals for the development of transport will be considered on thecase-by-case basis.
VII. STRENGTHENING THE BSEC INSTITUTIONALCAPACITY
16. The WGT will engageas much as possible, in the matter of exchange of information and practicalcooperation with other BSEC Working Group within the related activity areas inorder to provide a better coordination and to create new synergies for theimplementation of this Action Plan.
17. In order to preserve andexploit the great potential and the gained expertise as assets for national andregional development, the WGT shall continue its cooperation with otherinternational organizations, Observers and Sectoral Dialogue Partners to BSEC.
18. Relevant internationalorganizations, such as UN ECE, European Commission, as well as others, will beinvited to attend the meetings of the WGT in order to exchange views and createsynergies between the present Action Plan and the programs and financialinstruments developed by the European Union or any other internationalorganization in the field of transport.
19. In line with the“BSEC Economic Agenda: Towards the Enhanced BSEC Partnership” further actionswill be undertaken for implementation of cooperation agreements signed intransport field with other international organizations, in particular:
a. Cooperation Agreement between the Organizationof the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (BSEC) and the United Nations EconomicCommission for Europe (UN/ECE) (2 July 2001).
b. Memorandum of Understanding between the Organization of the Black SeaEconomic Cooperation and the International Road Transport Union (IRU) (27September 2006).
c. Memorandum of Understanding between the Organization of the Black SeaEconomic Cooperation and the International Road Federation (IRF) (24 November2006).
d. Memorandum of Understanding between the Permanent InternationalSecretariat of the Organization of the Black Sea EconomicCooperation and the Permanent Secretariat of theIntergovernmental Commission TRACECA (13 December 2007).
e. Memorandum of Understanding on Sectoral Dialogue Partnership between the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation and the Danube Commission (8 June 2010).
f. Memorandum of Understanding on Cooperation between the Permanent InternationalSecretariat of the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation and theCentral European Initiative – Executive Secretariat (7 March 2011).
g. Memorandum ofUnderstanding between the Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperationand the International Union of Railways (3 March 2016).
19. The BSEC Member States will be encouraged to apply their everyeffort to adopt the final text of the Draft Memorandum of Understanding betweenthe Black Sea Economic Cooperation and the International Union of Railways,with the intention to sign this MoU.
20. The Working Group on transport will:
a. further direct transport activities atinteraction and achieving synergy with the UNECE work on development of theEuro-Asian Transport linkages (EATL), in particular, within implementation ofthe Memoranda on the development of the Black Sea Ring Highway, Motorways of the Sea and Facilitation of Road Transportof Goods.
b. collaborate with the UNECE, IRU and BSEC-URTAon measures to develop the Implementation of the International Vehicle WeightCertificate (IVWC) under Annex 8 to the International Convention on theHarmonization of Frontier Controls of Goods.
c. further encourage the BSEC Member States toaccede, as soon as possible, and implement Agreements and Conventionsestablished under the auspices of the UNECE and the World Customs Organization (WCO).
d. continue its cooperation with UNECE onimplementing the Decade of Action on the Road Safety (2011-2020) and, inparticular, on “UNECE-BSEC Pilot Project on Readiness Assessment for theImplementation of the Decade of Action for Road Safety (2011-2020) in the BSECRegion”.
e. interact with IRU and all parties involved onimplementation of the Model Highway Initiative and on complexof issues related to facilitation of road transport of goods (taxation of roadtransport of goods in the BSEC Member States, monitoring border waiting timesetc).
f. utilize the valuable expertise of the BSECSectoral Dialogue Partners, in particular, BSEC-URTA, BASPA, BRASS andBINSA on the issues of facilitation of road transport of goods, maritimeand multimodal transportation, development of cruise, Ro-Ro, Ro-La and ferrylines as well as on the possibility of elaborating a regional integratedmaritime policy in the field of Maritime Transport, Ports, Shipbuilding and ShipRepairing in the BSEC Region, in compliance with the IMO rules.
g. continue to provide its support to trainingseminars and conferences aimed at the exchange of experiences and bestpractices in the transport sector among experts of the BSEC Member States,other countries and international organizations.
VIII. THE BSECCOMMUNICATION STRATEGY
21. The WGT will pay due attention to the issue of increasing thevisibility of the BSEC transport cooperation. The WGT will also encourage itspartners to contribute actively to this work.
The WGT will support the activity of all BSEC partners involved inprojects and their policies on promotion of trade and transport facilitation inthe BSEC region, and render its support to the initiative on organization ofthe “BSEC stand” at the ITF Forum in Leipzig and convening, under the relevantBSEC Chairmanship, of the ad hoc meetings of Ministers of Transport of the BSECMember States during their participation in the Forum.
IX. LIST OF ACTIVITIES:
a/ MINISTERIAL MEETINGS:
2017 – A meeting of Ministers of Transport of the BSEC Member States (Kyiv,November 2017) proceeded by a Meeting of the WGT.
2018 and 2019 - A meeting of Ministers of Transport of the BSEC MemberStates (upon the decision of the BSEC Chairman-in-office).
b/ MEETINGS OF THE WORKING GROUP ON TRANSPORT:
1. November 2017 – consideration of the EvaluationReport for 2015-2017 and Draft Action Plan for 2017-2019.
2. October –November 2018
3. October-November 2019, – Presentation of theEvaluation Report of Romania for 2017-2019. Evaluation of projects and othertransport activities.
c/ MEETINGS OF SUBORDINATED ORGANS:
Steering Committee on Facilitation of Road Transport of Goods in theBSEC Region (will be scheduled by the Chairmanship in the FRTG SteeringCommittee). BSEC Headquarters –2018 and 2019 (TBD)
SteeringCommittee on the Development of the Black Sea RingHighway (will be scheduled by the Chairmanship in the BSRH Steering Committee)BSEC Headquarters – 2018 and 2019 (TBD)
Ad Hoc Working Group on the Motorways of the Sea (will be scheduled bythe Chairmanship in the Ad Hoc WG) - BSEC Headquarters – TBD – 2018 and 2019
MeetingRelated to the Implementation of the Project “BSEC PERMIT System”, BSECHeadquarters, October-November annually.
Task Force on studying possibilities regarding cooperation on intermodaltransportation in the Black Sea region - BSEC Headquarters, BSEC Headquarters –April May 2018
Task Force on introduction of the IVWC, BSEC Headquarters – April- May2018
d/ MEETINGS OF INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS, BOARDS OFTHE BSEC SECTORAL DIALOGUE PARTNERS – in accordance with the relevantinformation received from the Latter
f/ RELEVANT EVENTS (seminars, workshops, symposia, conferences TBD) - will be arranged in contacts with the BSECChairman-in-office and, BSEC PERMIS and other relevant stakeholders.